NO TROPHIES OR PLAQUES PLEASE.
We welcome to you send in extra, unused, or no-longer-wanted medals from any sport, including: road races, triathlons, obstacle course events, skiing, rowing, swimming, volleyball, wrestling, rugby, skating, kid's races, bike rides, 5Ks, 10Ks, mud runs, fencing, relays, cheerleading, senior games, century rides, virtual races, collegiate medals, etc. Bottle opener or key chain medals are welcome! Academic medals are welcome too! We have processed medals for honor societies, reading awards, etc.
Shipping Address for Medals (no drop offs):
Sports Medal Recycling
679 Washington St
South Attleboro, MA 02703
Our shipping address is secure, can receive USPS, UPS, or Fedex, and your boxes will be protected from bad weather. We will gladly accept medals shipments from anywhere in the world- in fact we've already received shipments from all 50 states and from four other countries!
SAFETY NOTE: We have learned that copycat and fake organizations are using our name without our permission and have copied/plagiarized text from our website and social media posts. These organizations are not affiliated with us and have used our name without our permission. Our only receiving address is in South Attleboro, MA, United States. Any other group with a different receiving address (either in the USA our in another country) should be considered suspect or fraudulent.
Follow us on Social Media for updates and photos of items as they are processed for recycling:
This is a win-situation for everyone:
- Race and event organizers- know that your extra, unwanted, or overstocked medals and medals from canceled events will be recycled and kept out of landfills (plus you're not paying to store old medals anymore).
- Athletes- clear out any old medals you had at home that you no longer want, and know that they are going to a greater purpose.
- We've kept hundreds of pounds of metal, fabric, plastic and cardboard from going to the trash.
- We get to help support great 501(c)3 nonprofits.
PLEASE DO NOT send the following items as we cannot process them:
- Do not send trophies of any kind. Please check out the Nationwide Trophy Recycling Program. They can re-purpose trophies that are in good condition. We are not affiliated with them, but we are often asked about what people can do with old trophies, and was the national resource that we found.
- Please do not send: Plaques of any kind; Medals or awards made of: glass, wood, ceramic, foam, or plastic; Banners (cloth or plastic). If these are sent, unfortunately they will go in the trash.
- Do not send in the plastic cases and foam inserts some medals come in. These are not recyclable and will be thrown out.
- While recycling is our goal, the safety of our volunteers comes first. If you have medals that were damaged or ruined by fire, flood, mold, mildew, or pets- if the medals aren't safe for you to handle or keep, then they're not safe for us to handle either. Please dispose of these items instead of sending them to us.
For packing: if the medals do not completely fill the box you're using, please enclose the medals in plastic wrap, bubble wrap, air bags, paper, cardboard or newspaper (we can recycle all of these). Do not use Styrofoam or packaging peanuts for packing- we cannot recycle them (and they typically get crushed in shipment from the weight of the medals). Medals do not need to be wrapped individually- the key is they just need to not shake or slide around the box. We find this damages the boxes in transit.
We cannot recycle bubble mailer envelopes or plastic envelopes. If you can ship in a cardboard box with bubble wrap, plastic air bags, or newspaper, that's the best option!
Another great idea- if you have leftover cloth bags (cinch, drawstring or tote) from events or races, you can use the bag in place of newspaper or bubble wrap to ship the medals.
Cheapest shipping options: USPS Flat Rate boxes (one rate for up to 70 pounds). These boxes are available for free at your local post office or via an online order, and are available in small, medium and large flat rate sizes. Please carefully tape the boxes or envelopes to ensure the box doesn't break in transit due to the weight of the medals.
Ship as a group: we've had workplaces, gyms, and teams collect medals together and ship in one box to save on postage.
About our Fundraising Efforts- Where the Proceeds Go
We regularly make donations or fundraise ourselves to participate in events like charity rides or to participate in road races, etc. Some events we participate in require a fundraising minimum for a race bib or event entry. We use our recycling proceeds for their donations. If we are not actively fundraising for an event, then we donate to our friends' fundraising efforts.
We only make donations to fundraising efforts that support registered 501(c)3 nonprofits in the United States only. We do not make any donations to requests to help individuals.
You can view screenshot examples of our our past donations made to athlete fundraising efforts here. We also share photos of our donations on social media.
|Sport and academic medals are sent to medal recycling.|
|The ribbons are brought to textile recycling.|
|All plastic bags, air bags, and bubble wrap are brought to plastic recycling. |
We also recycle all cardboard boxes, newspaper and packing paper.
Want to ask about something not listed above or on our FAQ page? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Copyright 2019 Sports Medal Recycling. All rights reserved.